French Students Face-Off with NJ Devils

Matt Engel, Staff Writer

NEWARK- Instead of being filled with reporters on Thursday night, the Prudential Center media room was jammed with over 100 students from schools across New Jersey. Students from each school were given a chance to ask Devils players, Eric Gelinas and Stefan Matteau, a question in French, which each player honestly answered, with the occasional laughter.

“I think the students enjoyed this, because for the 8th year in a row we had over 30 students in attendance for us,” said Madame Alice Simonson, who teaches French at Shore Regional High School in West Long Branch.

The Devils were outplayed by the Florida Panthers and lost, 5-1. When the game ended, the high school students were among the few fans left at the Prudential Center. After the game, the students were taken to a back room to wait for Devils players Gelinas and Matteau. Among the questions asked were “What do you do outside of hockey,” and “What kind of car do you drive?” After the interview, Gelinas and Matteau posed for pictures, including one selfie, with the high school students.

“It was unfortunate that the team played poorly”, said Miss Simonson. “But we were able to have a great Q&A session with the Devils, so we were redeemed.”