What You Might Not Know about the 2016 Presidential Candidates

photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Matt Engel, Staff Writer

The 2016 Presidential Election is just 8 months away, and there are just 6 candidates left ( 2 Democrats, 4 Republicans at the time of writing this), out of the 16 that originally entered the race. With the candidates being thrust into the national spotlight, supporters may think they know everything they need to know about their respective candidates, but here are some interesting, and little known details, about each candidate.

Bernie Sanders- Everyone knows Bernie Sanders has a long history of protesting for civil rights, but not many people know he has a history of being a musician. In 1987, while serving as the mayor of Burlington, Vermont, Sanders recorded a folk album, appropriately called We Shall Overcome, with 30 other Vermont artists. Until this year, the album received little press coverage. Bernie Sanders has since poked fun at the album, calling it the “worst album ever” in an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper. If you want to hear one of the songs, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UAzhuiT3k8

Hillary Clinton- Before becoming a lawyer, and later a senator and Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton was just a little Girl Scout named Hillary Rodham. While her rank is unknown, Clinton made clear in an interview that she certainly contributed to her community. Said Clinton:  “[Already] as a Brownie and then a Girl Scout, I participated in Fourth of July parades, food drives, cookie sales and every other activity that would earn a merit badge or adult approval. I began organizing neighborhood kids in games, sporting events and backyard carnivals both for fun and to raise nickels and dimes for charities.”

Marco Rubio- Before battling it out with Ted Cruz and Donald Trump on the debate stage, Marco Rubio was already facing worthy opponents in high school, as a quarterback for the South Miami High football team. Standing at only 5’9, Rubio’s odds of playing in college were slim, but he did play for small Tarkio College in Missouri, before the school and football team went broke and folded. Rubio never did make it to the NFL, but he still loves to play football for fun, although he made the headlines for the wrong reason after hitting a child in the face while playing a game of catch.

Ted Cruz- The Internet has gone wild with rumors for weeks now that Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer, and while that is not true, it is true that Cruz has a history of being a great debater. In 1992, Cruz, then 22, and his partner David Panton won the US National Debating Championship. The year before, Cruz had lost to former White House economic advisor Austan Goolsbee.

John Kasich- The current governor of Ohio has a long history of dealing with public figures in Washington. As a freshman at Ohio State University in 1970, he wrote a letter to President Richard Nixon requesting a meeting about his concerns regarding the country. He met Nixon for 20 minutes, and that helped influence him to become Ohio’s youngest ever Senator, at the age of 26.

Donald Trump- It seems as if there are a thousand interesting things to know about the GOP front-runner. He hosted a reality TV show called The Apprentice, which gave young entrepreneurs the chance to lead one of his companies. He achieves his unique hairstyle by blow-drying his hair forward and then combing it backward. But Trump also has something that none of the other candidates have: his own board game. Trump: The Game was made in 1989, and involves players competing in 2 parts, feeding money into available properties, and then using Trump cards to buy and sell those properties.