Shore Players earns 9 Basie Award nominations

The Shore Players’ production of “The Music Man” has been nominated for 9 Basie Awards. The 11th annual Basie Awards will take place on May, 18th at 7:00 p.m to celebrate the achievements and success of high school plays in Monmouth County at Count Basie Theatre. Members of the cast and crew are enthusiastic about the nominations following their preparation, time, and energy put into the play.

The cast gets to perform a number at the awards, and director of the play, Todd Aikens, told us, “We are in the process right now of putting together a little medley that will include Seventy-Six Trombones, Shipoopi, and possibly Trouble Right Here in River City.” This will be the last performance that the cast of “The Music Man” will do together.

The large number of nominations is a great way to end the Shore Player’s experience with “The Music Man.” All cast members will miss being a part of the production, as will the director, Mr. Todd Aikens. When asked if what his experience has been like directing this musical, he replied, “ It’s a process. A process that you come to love! I have to admit that “The Music Man” is one of my favorite shows, but in discussing what show we should do next year with my staff, we all decided that this would be the best show to do this year. As I mentioned earlier you grow to love it, so now the show and the process ranks high on my list.”

The cast and crew will be competing against several other schools for the titles that they were nominated for:  outstanding set in a musical, outstanding lighting design in a musical, outstanding chorus, outstanding production-musical, outstanding direction in a musical, and several other nominations. The Shore Players’ efforts are apparent, as well as their competition. According to Count Basie Theatre’s website, other schools in Monmouth County will be competing for these awards as well, such as Long Branch High School, Red Bank Catholic High School, Middletown High School, and Howell High school.