Mr. Edward’s son helps to dance the day away

Mr. Edward’s son, Ollie, helps dad run IB dance

Sam Slattery, Staff Writer

On April 27th, we celebrate “Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day”. It was originally a holiday for daughters to discover career paths, starting in the 1990s, but it has expanded to encompass all children. At Shore Regional High School, a majority of the teachers participate by bringing their children to learn and teach alongside them. One teacher, Mr. Lawrence Edwards, brought his son, Oliver, to work with him.  

Mr. Lawrence teaches a medley of dance classes at Shore including IB Dance, as well as coaching the Shore Dance team. Ollie accompanied his father in stretching and dancing. Ollie seemed excited to join his father, and Mr. Lawrence’s students were equally joyful at the experience. One even saying it was the “coolest thing ever”.

One challenge Mr. Lawrence faced was getting to work on time with his son, but all seemed well as Ollie had enjoyed some candy and was bouncing around the room with the biggest smile. Mr. Lawrence said that the most rewarding thing about the day was “being able to share the experience with [his] students and [his] son”.

The day signifies an enlightenment to the next generations. Each child gets explore a job field as well as gaining respect for their parents, not to mention they had the opportunity to say the Pledge of Allegiance over the loudspeaker.