SAW at the MSPCA Walk-a-Thon

photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Jess Barton, Staff Writer

The MSPCA hosted their twenty-fourth annual Walk-a-Thon on Saturday, April 28 from 10 am to 3 pm. The walk and pet fair was located at the Brookdale campus in Lincroft. Shore Regional’s own Students for Animal Welfare (SAW) club was present at the event. Volunteers helped by handing out water and making homemade dog toys. SAW collected empty plastic water bottles, tennis balls, and old socks during the week as materials for the toys.

Participants in the Walk-a-Thon can register as individuals or as teams. The MSPCA also accepts donations if someone does not want to physically participate. There were vendors, fun activities, live music, great food (including vegetarian options), and MSPCA adoptables. Food trucks present at the event were Cafe Diem, Hinlicky’s Ice Cream LLC, and Max’s Famous Hot Dogs. According to the MSPCA website, “All proceeds from the event will go directly to rescuing, protecting, feeding, and caring for the animals who come to our shelter.”

SAW’s president Grace Leslie commented on the affair, “It was really exciting to see all the volunteers come together with the same interest for animals. Not only was it fun to play with all the animals at the Walk-a-Thon, it gave everyone a chance to communicate and socialize with other people and businesses who share the same passion for helping animals in need.”