Shore Interact members selected as RYLA staff members

Martin MacStudy, Staff Writer

Shore Regional students Marty MacStudy and Skylla Silva have been selected as some of the staff members for RYLA 2018. RYLA is a leadership camp that teaches participants how to work together as a team, believe in their abilities, and how to sympathize for those who are less fortunate than most, along with other different lessons. At RYLA, participants are randomly separated into teams where they have three counselors: two support counselors and one lead counselor.

Skylla Silva will be attending her second RYLA this summer as a Support Counselor. Support Counselors are often described as the backbone to RYLA. They are the people who run around setting up games and events before the participants get the chance to see what is happening. They make the magic of RYLA happen. Along with the work of setting up different events, Support Counselors are there for their team as emotional support or just someone to talk to. They help support, as the name suggests, the team’s lead counselor maintain order and ensure everyone gets along well.

Marty MacStudy will be attending his third RYLA this summer as a Lead Counselor. Lead Counselors are the figureheads of each team. Any major event is done with the Lead. Lead Counselors are responsible for building bonds with the entire team, ensuring that their team takes away the meaning of the events done at RYLA. Lead Counselors spend more time with their team in order to ensure a stronger bond is made between the team and the lead.. Both Skylla and Marty are very excited to fulfill their roles this summer at RYLA.