Student Leadership Holds Apprentice Competition

Staff Writer, Staff Writer

Student Leadership participated in its annual Apprentice competition this past Monday. Students were broken into teams and tasked with raising funds for a charity of their choice. Teams were given a $20 starter fund which was to be used for supplies, advertising and other materials needed to begin the competition. Students competed between April 26-April 28th during ASP with a final “boardroom” meeting on May 2nd in which course instructor, Mrs. DellaVolpe addressed all team members. Teams were asked questions regarding their used of funds, decisions on product placement and advertising, as well as hard-hitting questions regarding the performance of each team’s project manager. The boardroom meeting along with the competition itself served as a self-reflection for each student in their strengths and possible areas of growth in regards to their leadership styles and team work capabilities. When asked what she felt was the biggest benefit of this type of interactive assignment, Mrs. DellaVolpe replied, “students had to use everything they learned this year in terms of how to be a leader, working together as a team, conflict resolution skills, motivational techniques in order to come together as a team.”

After three days of competition, the teams were ranked as follows: in 1st place “Vincitori” raised $153.60 which will be donated to the Monmouth County SPCA, “Team Platinum” raised $63.30 for the Alzheimer’s Association, “Tiny Trumps” raised $58.36 for Livestrong and “Engel and the boys” raised $53.71 for the Alex Munoz Fund. Congratulations to all teams on a job well done.