Spanish Students Create Murals on Monmouth County Culture

Spanish Students Make Murals on Monmouth County Culture

In Señora Gilbert’s Honors Spanish II class, students learned about a Mexican artist, Alfredo Zalce Torres. He painted the Detalle del fresco Historia de Michoacán, which depicts Mexican history in a city referred to as Morelia. Students were challenged to create a mural that represents Monmouth County. The murals captured the overall culture of Monmouth County, including popular places and towns. Students were eager to show their wealth of knowledge of the county they’ve grown up in. Finally, over a week of hard-work, students finished their murals and presented them to the class. Common places in the murals included Strollo’s Lighthouse, Monmouth Park, Monmouth University, Shore Regional, Franklin Lake, and the beach.  

Despite having a lot of similarities, the murals all had something unique about them whether it be their overall design or color scheme. Madison Moloney, Thomas Moloney, Courtney Moloney, and Colette Fishkin created a mural showcasing different aspects of Monmouth County, including popular food dishes, such as pizza, and places, like Pier Village, iPlay America, and Jersey Shore Outlets. Martin MacStudy, Collin McElroy, Isabella Whitaker, Ashley Davison and Kathryn Gammon’s group depicted the feud over popular restaurants in the area: Bubbakoos vs. Surf Taco. Also, noticeable features included the SPCA, Rook, Playa Bowl, and Poor Cat. Kayla Bartram, Jess Barton, Jillian Olsen, and Cameron Troncoso included three out of the four sending districts and notable places in their mural. Other locations included Fanagel the Bagel, Amy’s Omelette House, Little Monmouth, La Scarpetta, and Franklin Lake. One of the most impressive parts of this mural was the amazing depiction of Strollo’s Lighthouse by Cameron Troncoso. Grace Leslie, Victoria Amado , Jackson McDonough, Peyton Lepping, and Skylla Silva incorporated the coordinates of the four sending districts of Shore Regional High School; Oceanport, Monmouth Beach, West Long Branch, and Sea Bright. Their mural included places and activities that truly represent the culture of Monmouth County.

All of the murals depicted “fan-favorites” of Shore Regional students. The mural of Alfredo Torres and the murals of the students share many similarities.  Torres’ murals covered 500 years of history and culture. In the students’ murals, the culture and history wasn’t as extensive, but students showed that which was important to them. Students showed all the different place and stores that makes them who they are just like Torres depicted those who came before him and shaped his life’s work.