Playa Bowls opens in Pier Village

photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Jess Barton, Staff Writer

Playa Bowls is a popular beachfront eatery that serves acai bowls, pitaya bowls, and smoothies with locations in Belmar, Manasquan, Bayhead, and Pier Village. The Pier Village location recently opened on Memorial Day weekend near Turning Point and has attracted many students from Shore. This company was established in 2014 by Belmar residents Rob Giuliani and Abby Taylor in addition to Rutgers graduate Desi Saran. Playa Bowls’ website, playabowls.com, discusses the beginning of their company, “The bright bowls mixed with adventurous combinations of unique fruit gave plenty of beach goers instagram worthy snaps…The official first offerings from playa bowls were a limted acai bowl menu and a few smoothies.”  

Chances are you have seen a picture of a Playa Bowl with its bright colors and fresh products. Playa Bowls is starting to become a landmark of the Jersey Shore as a result of its beachy vibe. Playa Bowls has been featured in Reuters, the Bikini Bible, Jersey Shore inMotion, and The Daily Targum. Playa Bowls started as a food stand on the Belmar Boardwalk after Abby Taylor and Rob Giuliani wanted to give beachgoers a healthier meal option. “When Abby and I went on these trips [to South America], we saw acai and lulu berries all over the place,” Giuliani said in an interview with The Daily Targum. “There were shops selling smoothies that had these fruit toppings on them, so we had an idea to bring this to the Jersey shore.” Playa Bowls is a fun and healthy place to go to with your friends this summer.