‘American Girl’ releases their first male doll

flickr

flickr

Sam Slattery, Staff Writer

American Girl, the upscale specialty doll shop, has announced their first male doll. Logan Everett is the first boy, 18-inch doll. American Girl, owned by Mattel, gives each doll an elaborate backstory filled with historical details, books, and movies.

Logan comes with a drum set and joins a new American Girl character Tenney Grant. Tenney is a singer, songwriter from Nashville. They will be available February 18th, 2017. The American Girl “Tenney” book series was written by Kellen Hertz and published by Scholastics. The story will involve both characters.

Male dolls have already been in demand for years, yet the toy market is not selling many. This has forced mothers to get creative, cutting doll hair and crafting clothing for boy dolls.

A Mattel spokeswoman said that they have been working on it for years. The doll is not just for sons though, Logan also makes a great addition anyone’s collection.

Doll play has been found beneficial for girls and boys. According to Salem State University associate professor of advertising and media studies, Rebecca Hains, playing with dolls stimulates developmental skills, including responsibility and nurturing. Hains says that “Children should be able to play with any toys around them.” Regardless of gender, many American Girl customers are excited for the release date.