National Honor Society prepares to induct their new class

Sydney Sears, Staff Writer

June 10th is slated for the 2017 National Honor Society induction ceremony for Shore Regional High School. This year, 44 students are being inducted. The president of National Honor Society, Kayla Young, is expected to make a speech. Most likely, this speech will address what it takes to be a part of National Honor Society and how much of an honor it is.

So, what does it take to be inducted into NHS? Well, in a nutshell, eligibility is open to students in the eleventh and twelfth grades who have a grade point average of 92 or higher. The criteria for membership is based not only on scholarship but also on service, leadership and character.  Participation in activities at Shore and in the community is a must. However, even though eligibility is open to only students in the eleventh and twelfth grade, if you want to be a part of NHS you need to start taking action freshman year. Candidates are expected to provide service to the school and to their surrounding community. The number of service hours required depends on the number of sports and clubs you’re participating in. All students have to complete at least 20 hours.

Another aspect looked at by the Faculty Council is character. A person of character demonstrates the following six qualities: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.

A third major aspect that a candidate must have is leadership. All candidates are expected to demonstrate leadership skills; this can be demonstrated in a number of different ways, including being elected as a student body, class or club officer, serving as a committee chairperson, being elected team captain, serving as newspaper editor, being selected as a work area manager, etc.

In regards to the application process, in order to be considered for membership, candidates must complete the following:

• Achieve a minimum GPA of 92 by the end of first marking period for juniors and second marking period for juniors
  • Meet all service requirements
  • Provide evidence of leadership
  • Write a personal essay in school at a designated time (the essay requirements have changed; now the essay has to be about leadership)
  • Provide two teacher evaluations
  • Submit completed application, including documentation of service

Once inducted, members are required to maintain the same level of performance in all four previously mentioned areas. This obligation includes maintaining a GPA of 92, having a clean disciplinary record, regularly attending meetings, participating in NHS activities, and completing a minimum of five hours of community service outside of school per marking period.