Interact gives back in the month of September

Anthony Neyhart, Staff Writer

One of Shore Regional High School’s most popular clubs, Interact, has once again completed another month of successful ventures. The Rotary International Interact Club, advised by Mrs. Encarnacion, is a service group for young students ages 14-18. This club is filled with dedicated and hard working student members who participate in various volunteer opportunities and events throughout the year.

In the month of September, Interact hosted a clothing drive to benefit “Pinwheel Place”, a non-profit organization that provides a safe place for children at risk of abuse or neglect. The club collected hundreds of pounds of clothing to help raise awareness for this cause, as well. 

As reported last week, volunteers were stationed outside Bagelmasters deli in Shrewsbury to collect donations and raise awareness about “Go Gold in September” for the Kortney Rose Foundation, an organization which raises awareness and funding to benefit pediatric brain tumor cancer research. 

Interact also helped host a “Childhood Cancer Awareness” event at Shore’s football game on September 28th. The club worked with Shore’s Conquer Cancer Club, advised by Ms. Burkley, and Shore Athletics in their joint partnership with The Alex Munoz and Kortney Rose Foundations. Student volunteers assisted with collecting donations during the game and distributing gold ribbons to spread awareness for both causes. At the end of the night, they collectively raised over $450.00 towards the Children’s Brain Tumor Consortium.

The month of September truly echoed the mantra of Interact: service above self. Interact’s upcoming events include the Reformation Food Pantry and Oceanport Fall Festival, along with a number of other exciting volunteer opportunities.