Shore Regional celebrates Veterans Day

Vietnam War veterans share their unforgettable stories in the RTO

Veterans and students from The Gingerbread House lead SRHS in the flag salute

Emma Paolantonio, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, November 7th, the students, faculty and staff of Shore Regional High School welcomed a group of war veterans to speak about their perilous journeys fighting for our country in celebration of Saturday’s Veterans Day. While the veterans and students broke off into groups around the building, the presentation witnessed by those in the RTO was one to remember.

A group of inspiring Vietnam veterans shared experiences and answered questions about their time fighting for our country. They led students in singing Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless The USA” and even allowed students to try on and hold some of the artifacts that they used during the Vietnam War. During the Vietnam War, which was at the time the longest in U.S. history, each man had his own job and experience; varying among them from pilot to lieutenant and even a prisoner of war. While each veteran had a different story to tell, the common thread was the insistence that “no man [is] left behind”. This mantra extended from the battlefield to those struggling in their return to civilian life. 

These heroes shed light about the truth on the lasting effects of war. While physical wounds from the war may heal, for many the psychological wounds unfortunately do not. Roughly twenty-two veterans commit suicide each day, half of which are veterans from Vietnam. While the Vietnam veterans stood in front of the students of Shore Regional, some holding back tears, they kept spirits high while recalling a time in their life when they were unsure if they would ever return home. 

Without question, students were both captivated and inspired by the stories which these men were so brave to share.