Mrs. Secko joins Shore Regional High School

Sophie Pelton, Staff Writer

Mrs. Secko smiled as she placed down her lesson plan for the day, eagerly looking over her papers and preparing for the day ahead. Many teachers and faculty members have been added to the Shore Regional High School faculty. In the group of recent hires is Mrs. Secko, a new member of the English Department.

Mrs. Secko comes from Maple Place, one of Shore Regional’s sending middle schools and is familiar with teaching adolescents. With teaching, Mrs. Secko was following in her parents’ footsteps. Both of her parents were educators, a Math and an English teacher. She knew she was meant to be a teacher at a very young age. If Mrs. Secko wasn’t a teacher, she would like to be a children’s author.

In teaching, she likes to use interactive strategies to help her students learn. She also likes to “change things up” from day-to-day. “I do like Mrs. Secko’s teaching so far,” says freshman Bella Downes. “She is very fun and she teaches us in very fun ways. She is also super nice and super sweet.” 

When asked what are first thoughts were since joining the Shore faculty, Mrs. Secko comments, “It’s an amazing community, which includes the students, faculty, admin. Shore Regional has so much to offer in so many aspects.” Mrs. Secko believes Shore has the feeling of community as did Maple Place.

Mrs. Secko really feels every child can learn and it is her job to find a pathway for learning. She believes we should celebrate success, not weaknesses and the more a teacher knows about a child, the better that teacher will be at reaching them through his/her lessons. She hopes that her passion for what she does leads her students toward their passions. “I think it’s important to remember every child has a story. Hopefully, you get to know a little about that story. The student is most important.”