Shore Students Move to STEAM Tank Regionals

Linda Ensor

From left: Elizabeth Vaughan and Finley Laffman

Staff Report

Shore Regional’s STEAM Tank team has qualified for the New Jersey 2022-23 regional competition. Each year, the New Jersey School Boards Association hosts a STEAM Tank competition that requires students to present ideas to address real world problems related to climate change, environmental concerns, societal issues or other situations that need resolution. STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics.

Composed of sophomores Finley Laffman and Elizabeth Vaughan, Shore’s team created a solution for plastic pollution by creating a new non-poly bottle used by the beverage industry. Constructed from fungal mycelium and coated in beeswax, these bottles are naturally biodegradable.

According to NJSBA.org, “The STEAM Tank™️ Challenge inspires students to become the next generation of entrepreneurs, inventors, scientists, artists and engineers to help make the world a better place, said Dr. Timothy Purnell, executive director of NJSBA. “We’ve been overwhelmed by positive comments from students, educators and partners who have participated in past years, and we’re looking forward to welcoming a new class to the STEAM Tank™️ Challenge family.”

In the regional competition, scheduled for February, Finley and Elizabeth will present their concept to a panel of judges.  Their five-minute presentation will be followed by ten minutes of questions; and if the judges like their idea, the students will qualify for the state finals.