Student Leadership at Shore

June 14, 2023

A leader is someone who takes charge and guides people to help them grow. Anyone can be a leader, they just need the opportunity to do so. At Shore Regional, various extracurricular activities are offered to students and each activity is unique. This allows Shore students to find areas they are passionate about and get extremely involved in those organizations. However, none of these groups would be able to run without the amazing student leaders among them.

On May 10, leaders from all of Shore Regional’s clubs were recognized for their contributions and leadership within their respective groups at Shore Regional’s annual Student Leadership Awards, run by Shore’s very own Student Council. The awards ceremony, hosted by Student Council advisors Mrs. Cecilia Ross and Ms. Allison Cronk, gives students from all grade levels, 9th through 12th, the chance to be acknowledged for all of their hard work. This year, students from the following groups were recognized: Band (Jazz, Marching, and Pep), Cheerleading (Fall and Winter), Class of 2023, Class of 2024, Class of 2025, Class of 2026, Conquer Cancer Club, Dance Team (Fall and Winter), Disc Golf, Flag Football, French Club, Future Educators Association (FEA), Gay-Straight Alliance, Great Books Group, International Club, the International Program, Math League, Medical Career Club, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, National Honors Society, Plan of Prevention (POP), Red Cross Club, Rotary Interact, Shore Devil E-Sports, Shore Players, Ski Club, Student Council, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Students for Animal Welfare (SAW), Surfrider, The Beacon, Video Production, Voices, and Voyager.

Each club advisor spoke about the phenomenal student leaders from their respective group and the impact these students have had on the organization. More than 50 students received awards and some students even received more than one. Outside of the auditorium where the awards ceremony was held, there was a Shore Regional themed step and repeat backdrop where students could take pictures with family, friends, club advisors, or anyone else who came to the ceremony. Light refreshments were also served at the conclusion of the ceremony.

LORS PHOTOGRAHY

For the 2022-2023 school year, the student named Student Leader of the Year was Student Council president, Katie Mazzacco.

Mazzacco said, “Leadership to me has always been about the connections I make with other people and encouraging as many people as possible to get involved and enjoy it.”

She is involved in various sports and activities at Shore Regional and is an exemplary student leader, especially for underclassmen. As a graduating senior, Mazzacco will be continuing her academic career at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) next year. Leaving Shore Regional, Mazzacco reflects on her time at Shore, especially her involvement in Student Council.

“Student Council has shown me, since freshman year, the joys of being proactive and passionate in and out of school, and I am so grateful for the people I have met along the way. StuCo has impacted my life in such an inspiring way; it’s what kept me so involved in the school as a whole and wanting to encourage others to do the same,” she explained.

Mazzacco has left an impact on both Student Council and the school as a whole, and she will continue to lead as she leaves Shore and moves on to the next chapter of her life.

This yearly tradition at Shore Regional encourages students to not only join different groups, but to show initiative and help lead the club or clubs they are a part of. Congratulations to all of the students who were honored this year. Who knows, perhaps the leaders of Shore Regional today will be the future world leaders of tomorrow.

The Beacon • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in