¨Honors the Vets Day¨ Guests Inform and Inspire

Martin MacStudy, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, November 10th, Shore Regional welcomed back local veterans, several of whom had graduated from Shore. The presentation I was able to sit in, in Shore’s auditorium, featured many veterans talking about their upbringings and why they decided to join the military.

The first to talk was Lieutenant General Ferrell. General Ferrell served for 36 years and commanded a battalion in Bosnia. However, before that, Ferrell faced many obstacles before he was able to join the military. His father, uncles and all of his siblings served in the military, which made Ferrell want to join the military, too. When Ferrell tried joining the military, there was a minimum height and weight limit. Ferrell did not meet the minimum weight requirement, thus, he was home. The second time he tried, he made it. After weeks of training, Ferrell’s superior advised him to go back home, saying that he just wasn’t cut out for the Army. Ferrell didn’t let this stop him and he kept going. Ferrell had reached the title of sergeant and decided to go to Hampton University. Ferrell told Shore students to, “Cherish the moment,” and noted that, “Throughout life, there will be obstacles. People will try to discourage you. You need to continue your dream.”

Members of the Ruane family spoke next. Mike Ruane, the father to Tom and Jim Ruane, presented first. Mike had served in Vietnam War, and told Shore students that, “Friendships made in the Army are the closest kind of friendship.” He also provided insight as to why soldiers do what they do. “ The price of being a soldier is anything for citizens to be safe and do what they want.¨ Next was Tom Ruane. Tom graduated from Shore not too long ago, in 2007. Tom stated that one of his motivations to join the military was as a means to pay off college debt. Tom had recently returned from a deployment from the Middle East. Jim Ruane was the last of the Ruane family. He graduated from Shore in 2004 and went to Seton Hall. Jim also recently returned from the same deployment as his brother. Both will be returning back to the Middle East in May of 2016.

Up next was Andrew Campi, a Shore graduate whose children are current or former Shore students. Andrew realized that he wanted to be a part of the military when Iran attacked the U.S. embassy in 1979. For his first mission, Andrew was deployed to Germany. Andrew was a fighter pilot for the Army. After an incident occurred, Andrew couldn’t continue his career in the military. Instead of giving up, Andrew joined the FBI 18 years ago.

Jose Rodriguez was the last veteran to present. Jose decided to join because he had no idea what else he wanted to become. He saw veterans and was inspired by them. This inspiration led him to becoming a Marine. Jose served for six and a half years. During his service, Jose was stationed in Japan and Quantico, located in Virginia. Jose told Shore students “Good isn’t enough if better is possible.” He also stated that shaking a veteran’s hand and saying “Thank you” will brighten their day.

That wrapped up the presentation for the day. I think I speak for all Shore students when I say thank you to all veterans who have served to protect America.