Like Comedy and Horror? You’ll Love Scream Queens

Photo+credit%3A++fox.com+

Photo credit: fox.com

Madison Moloney, Staff Writer

One of the newest television programs this season, Scream Queens, created and written by Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan, has made way into the homes of many and has created a new genre: the comedy-horror.  The TV-14 pilot aired on September 22nd at 8:00 p.m. on FOX. After receiving a total of four million viewers on the pilot episode, many wonder whether it was the prominent stars or the plot that kept viewers entertained throughout the hour long episode.

The enticing show takes place at Wallace University’s Kappa Kappa Tau’s house, where a tragic event occurred twenty years ago. When the school’s ultimate ruler, Dean Cathy Munsch (played by Jamie Lee Curtis), enforces that the pledging of the elite sorority is open to everybody, the downfall of the school and sorority begins. The sorority house becomes a new target by a serial killer wearing a red devil mask, causing  members of the sorority to question one another, and others to become the newest victims of the masked criminal.

The plot of Scream Queens proves to be captivating, but without the the actors and actresses of the show, viewers are aware the show would not be the same. Skylar Samuels plays the role of Grace Gardener, a freshman on campus who is seeking to join the Kappa Kappa Tau house to form a bond between herself and her deceased mother. Along with Grace, Zayday Williams, played by Keke Palmer, is an outcast trying to get something out of joining the sorority. Despite this, the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority’s leader, Chanel Oberlin, who is played by Emma Roberts, does not have the best reputation for being nice on campus. Chanel’s “boyfriend,” Chad Radwell, who is played by Glen Powell, is one of the main characters involved in the overall plot.  Doused in pastels and faux fur are “The Chanels,” who are played by Ariana Grande (Chanel #2), Billie Lourd (Chanel #3),  and Abigail Breslin (Chanel #5). In addition to The Chanels,¨ Hester, portrayed by Lea Michele, plays the role of a wannabe Chanel, with different motives to kill. 

From the plot, to the actors and actresses, Scream Queens proves itself to be an irresistible show to anyone who cannot or does not take murder-mystery shows too seriously. The characters of the show are constantly poking fun at other horror shows. Those who are highly offended by comments made about gender, race, sexualaity, or class, may not enjoy watching this show, as comments are frequently made about these topics. Scream Queens manages to provide to contain gruesome, but in a bearable manner. The light-hearted humor and sarcasm of the show draws in viewers. People who enjoy sarcasm and the mystery and suspense of a T.V. show, will be attracted to Scream Queens.  Some shows or movies that someone interested in Scream Queens may like are Pretty Little Liars, Scream, or American Horror Story.

In my opinion, Scream Queens is the perfect show for someone who enjoys humorous remarks and satirical jokes. Whether you like either of these two things, you will never know what you will miss by leaving queens to scream alone.